Believe and have eternal life (John 3:36)
Two characters in the Bible were concerned about the consequences of what they had heard. Nicodemus was "a ruler
of the Jews" (Jn 3:1) and Jesus concurred saying he was a "teacher of Israel" (:10). The Jews had the Torah but "it
is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins" (Heb 10:4). Jesus said to him "'unless one is born
again he cannot see the kingdom of God'" (Jn 3:3). Jesus also had a rich young man come to him and ask "'what shall
I do to inherit eternal life?'" (Mk 10:17). He was like Nicodemus and said "'I have kept all these things from my
youth up'" (:20). But Jesus' solution was "'go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have
treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me'" (:21).
There are specific instructions to accomplish this. You must:
- "He who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion" (Pr 28:13).
- "Repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away" (Ac 3:19).
- Be "converted and become like children" (Mt 18:3).
- "He who humbles himself will be exalted" (Lk 18:14).
- "Him who orders his way aright I shall show the salvation of God" (Ps 50:23).
- "Depart from evil and do good, so you will abide forever" (Ps 37:27).
- "He who practices the truth comes to the Light" (Jn 3:21).
Salvation is available because:
- "Whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life" (Jn 3:16).
- "He who believes in the Son has eternal life" (Jn 3:36).
- "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved" (Mk 16:16).
- "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved" (Ac 16:31).
- "Everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins" (Ac 10:43).
- "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God,
even to those who believe in His name" (Jn 1:12).